Dublin’s now officially cold and Wintery, so we thought we’d cook some soup for the week ahead
- Heat 1 tbsp olive oil in a big saucepan and tip in 4 finely chopped shallots, 2 finely chopped cloves of garlic, a finely chopped carrot, 2 finely chopped celery sticks, 2 finely chopped leeks and 140g finely chopped streaky bacon.
- Cook over a medium heat for about 5 minutes, until softened but not browned.
- Pour in 1.4 litres of vegetable or chicken stock (we use Marigold), then add 2 bay leaves and 1/2 tsp dried oregano or marjoram.
- Season and bring to the boil, then cover and simmer gently for 15 minutes.
- Add 2 tins of drained and rinsed cannellini beans and simmer for another 5 minutes.
Credit to BBC Good Food: