Enough soup for 4 people:
- Chop a large head of celery, peel and roughly chop an onion and half a head of celeriac.
- Melt a thick slice of butter in a big pot, add your chopped veg and cook for around 20 minutes, until soft.
- Pour in 1 litre chicken stock and add a bay leaf. Bring to the boil, then lower the heat and simmer for half an hour, stirring now and then.
- Blend until smooth and check the seasoning (you probably won’t need much salt as you’ll be adding salty cheese). We like to pass through a sieve too for a smooth, silky consistency.
- Serve with blue cheese crumbled over the top.
You could probably add a swirl of cream too if you’ve some of that.
Original recipe from one of our favourite cookbooks: Nigel Slater’s Tender Volume I.