A tasty mid-week supper full of zip, flavour and freshness. This is low in calories and a very easy way to perk up minced beef.
Thai-style stir-fried minced beef – serves 4
- 100g broccoli florets, cut very small
- 2 tbsp sunflower oil
- bunch of scallions, finely chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, crushed
- 3cm piece of fresh root ginger, finely chopped
- 1 tbsp finely chopped coriander stalks, plus a handful of coriander leaves, roughly chopped
- 1 red chilli, deseeded and finely chopped
- 400g minced beef
- 1 tbsp fish sauce
- 2 tbsp soy sauce
- 1 tbsp lime juice
- 1 tsp caster sugar
- steamed rice, to serve
Bring a large pan of salted water to the boil and blanch the broccoli florets for 1 minutes, then drain and refresh under cold water.
Heat the oil in a wok or deep frying pan. Add the scallions, garlic, ginger, coriander stalks, and chilli, and fry for a couple of minutes or until starting to colour.
Add the beef and continue to fry over a high heat until it is well browned.
Add the broccoli, fish sauce, soy sauce, lime and sugar. Mix well and continue to cook for another couple of minutes or until the broccoli is hot. Stir in the coriander leaves and serve immediately with some steamed rice.
(Original recipe from Family Kitchen Cookbook by Caroline Bretherton, DK, 2013.)