We made this salad because we were trying to use up some brown basmati we’ve had sitting around in the cupboard. The flavour and texture combination turned out even better than expected and it was just as delicious for dinner as well as the next day for lunch. Fresh and light and yet filling and very satisfying. Definitely will be done again.
We reckon this would be a fabulous as part of a buffet; easy to prepare in advance and bursting with colours and flavour.
Don’t be put off by microwaving the salmon – it really does work a treat!
Zingy salmon & brown rice salad (serves 4)
- 200g brown basmati rice
- 200g frozen soya beans, defrosted (we used peas because we couldn’t find he soya beans)
- 2 salmon fillets, skin on
- 1 cucumber , diced
- small bunch spring onions , sliced
- small bunch coriander , roughly chopped
- zest and juice 1 lime
- 1 red chilli , diced, deseeded if you like
- 4 tsp light soy sauce
- Cook the rice following pack instructions and 3 mins before it’s done, add the soya beans. Drain and cool under cold running water.
- Meanwhile, put the salmon on a plate and microwave on high for 3 mins. Allow to cool slightly, remove the skin with a fork, then flake.
- Gently fold the cucumber, spring onions, coriander and salmon into the rice and beans. In a separate bowl, mix the lime zest and juice, chilli and soy, then pour over the rice before serving.