This is a great accompaniment for roast chicken and we love the lemon wedges which add a wonderful freshness and impart a hint of caramelisation to the flavour mix.
Roast sweet potato with lemon, red onion & paprika – serves 6
- 4 sweet potatoes, peeled and cut into wedges
- 2 lemons, cut into wedges and seeds removed
- 2 red onions, peeled and cut into wedges
- 12 garlic cloves
- 4 bay leaves
- 1 tsp finely chopped thyme leaves
- 1 tsp Spanish sweet paprika
- ½ tsp chilli powder
- 1 tbsp wholegrain mustard
- 4 tbsp olive oil
Preheat the oven to 200°C/gas 6.
Add the sweet potatoes to a saucepan of boiling water and parboil for a couple of minutes. Drain and transfer to a large roasting tin with the lemons, onions, unpeeled garlic cloves and bay leaves.
Mix the paprika, chilli powder, thyme, mustard and oil in a small bowl. Pour over the veg, season with salt and pepper and toss well to coat.
Roast in the oven for 30-35 minutes until the sweet potato is tender and golden brown.
(Original recipe from Leiths How to Cook, Quadrille, 2013.)