This is a super simple and fresh weeknight meal for two. Halloumi cheese always feels like a bit of a treat.
Spiced Chickpeas with Halloumi – serves 2
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1 chilli, deseeded and finely chopped or ½tsp chilli powder
- 2 tsp finely chopped fresh root ginger
- 400g tin chickpeas, rinsed and drained
- 200g bag baby spinach
- 3 roasted red peppers from a jar
- half a 250g pack of halloumi cheese, drained
- juice of 1 lemon
Heat the oil in a pan and gently fry the chilli and ginger for 1 minute. Stir in the chickpeas, spinach and peppers, then season. Cover and cook gently for a few minutes, stirring not and then, until the spinach has wilted and the chickpeas are warmed through.
Meanwhile, heat a non-stick frying pan until very hot. Cut the halloumi into 6 slices and fry quickly for a minute or 2 on each side. Stir the lemon juice into the chickpeas and divide between 2 plates. Top with the halloumi and serve.
(Original recipe from BBC Good Food)