Another success from Sam & Sam Clark of Moro. Great textures and interesting flavours. Works as a starter or a side with grilled meat.
Feta salad with spinach, crispbread, sumac & pinenuts – serves 4
- 500g young spinach, washed and dried (in a salad spinner ideally)
- 200g good-quality feta cheese, crumbled
- 1 dessertspoon fresh oregano or marjoram leaves
- 75g pinenuts, very lightly toasted
- 25g butter
- 2 pitta breads
- ½ garlic clove, crushed to a paste with salt
- 1 tbsp good-quality red wine vinegar
- 2 tsp sumac
- 4 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- sea salt and black pepper
Preheat the oven to 180C/350F/Gas 4.
Melt the butter. Split the pitta in half lengthways and brush the melted butter on both sides. Put the pittas on a rack in the middle of the oven and bake for 10-15 minutes or until golden brown. Remove and cool.
Whisk the garlic, red wine vinegar, sumac, olive oil together to make a dressing. Season to taste with the salt and pepper.
Put the spinach, roughly broken crispbread, half the feta cheese, the oregano/marjoram and pinenuts into a large bowl. Pour over most of the dressing and toss together. Serve with the rest of the feta and dressing on top.
(Original recipe from Moro: the cookbook by Sam & Sam Clark, Ebury Press, 2001.)