Tasty veggie chilli which is also healthy and low-fat. Really nice flavours.
Black bean chilli – serves 4-6
- 2tbsp olive oil
- 4 garlic cloves, finely chopped
- 2 large onions, chopped
- 3 tbsp sweet pimenton (Spanish paprika) or mild chilli powder
- 3 tbsp ground cumin
- 3 tbsp cider vinegar
- 2 tbsp brown sugar
- 2 x 400g cans chopped tomatoes
- 2 x 400g cans black beans, rinsed and drained
- serve with: crumbled feta, chopped scallions, avocado chunks or soured cream
Heat the oil in a large pot and fry the onions and garlic for about 5 minutes or until almost soft. Add the pimenton and cumin and continue cooking for another few minutes before adding the vinegar, sugar, tomatoes and some seasoning. Cook for 10 minutes. Add the beans and cook for another 10 minutes. Serve with rice and your choice of extras.
Wine Suggestion: As this is so healthy you might decide to have a glass of water. If you decide to treat yourself you could try a Zinfandel or a Grenache which which will complement the spicy flavours without being too tannic or heavy.
(Original recipe from BBC Good Food)